About this short course
Personal selling is the exchange of ideas or information, verbally or non-verbally between the customer and the salesperson. The earliest form of personal selling involved bartering systems but progressed to the development of coinage which enabled exchange to occur more efficiently. Today, the aim of communication in personal selling is to is to inform the customer and persuade them to purchase a product or service. In this module we introduce you to; the marketing concept, the production approach and the sales approach.
In this course you will also learn about the consultative selling process, which is the process of helping the customer achieve strategic short- and long-term goals through the seller’s goods and/or service.We also explore in detail the advantages of personal selling which include: flexibility, building of relationships, and efficient communication. There are also some disadvantages to personal selling worth reviewing, such as it being expensive, and that it is vulnerable to unethical business practices such as bribery. We also look in detail at the consultation role and how professional salespeople:
- Create new customers.
- Sell more to present customers.
- Build long-term relationships with customers.
- Provide solutions to customers’ problems.
- Provide additional services to customers.
- Help customers resell products to their customers.
- Help customers use products after purchase.
- Build goodwill with customers.
- Provide the company with market information.
Salespeople are an integral part of the country’s economy. While the marketing concept is based on satisfying the needs of the consumer for profit, after this module you will see how the salesperson is directly responsible for uncovering that need. There is a misconception that people end up in sales as a matter of default, but most successful salespeople are professionals and have no intention of exchanging their careers.
We finish up this course by unpacking the selling cycle and the steps needed to make a sale, which includes: prospecting, planning the sales call, approach and sales presentation methods, handling objections, Closing the sale and following up.
You will learn about:
- The history, advantages and disadvantages of personal selling
- Consultative and direct selling
- The selling cycle: prospecting, planning the call, approach, presentation, closing and
Introduction to personal selling
- Watch an Overview video on Topic 1
- Watch a 12 minute Lecture video on Topic 1
- Download your course booklet
- Work through your Topic 1 slide deck
- Watch an Overview video on Topic 2
- Watch a Lecture video on Topic 2
- Work through your Topic 2 slide deck
- Watch an Overview video on Topic 3
- Watch a Lecture video on Topic 3
- Work through your Topic 3 slide deck
- Watch an Overview video on Topic 4
- Watch a Lecture video on Topic 4
- Work through your Topic 4 slide deck
- Quiz – Test your knowledge