Why you should make short courses a part of your 2022 skills plan.
Short courses generally refer to learning programmes that combine both practical and theoretical knowledge, however they often lean towards the more practical side and contain less theory which gives you a more hands-on experience in your field of interest.
The primary objective of short courses is to develop and upskill your current set of skills. It aims to provide you with the basic skills you need to become a professional in your chosen career field. Short courses duration varies from a couple of weeks up to 6 months to a year depending on the type of course you are pursuing.
Why are short courses valuable?
Even though short courses are not accredited to NQF levels and are not equivalent to a full qualification, they do indicate to your current, or prospective employers that you are a self-motivated individual who is eager to broaden their skill set to avoid becoming stagnant.
Short courses play a valuable role in developing the South African workforce as they are affordable, achievable and assist people in gaining specific skills training in a short period of time.
When embarking on the journey of a new professional career, people tend to think that it will take years of studying at unaffordable fees, and even though this used to be the case in the past, short courses empower you to gain valuable skills quickly.
Benefits of studying short courses
The general perception is that the best thing about short courses is the duration. However, this is not completely correct as there are several other benefits to conducting short courses:
- Learning fundamental skills – short courses aim to teach you the fundamental skills necessary to become a professional in your field of choice.
- Affordability – short courses are generally a lot more affordable than longer courses; this provides those without the necessary funds with an opportunity to study. Not only do you save money now, but in the future as well. A short course is a great way to get introduced to a specific study direction without fully committing to a direction you are not yet sure of, and wasting hard-earned money.
- Study when and where you want – many short courses are delivered online, allowing you to study from the comfort of your home and complete it from anywhere in South Africa. Short courses also allow you to study in your spare time and therefore will fit into your lifestyle.
- Allows you to pivot in your career – if you are looking for something fresh, or a career change, short courses are the way to go. Short courses will allow you to gain practical skills and certifications that will give you a foot in the door to a different career. The knowledge you can obtain while doing a short course will help in establishing your career in another field.
How to choose the right course for you
Before starting your short course journey, it is extremely important to ensure that you choose the correct course for you. Starting a course that doesn’t suit you can quickly put you off learning and make you lose interest. With the hundreds and thousands of short courses available online, how can you make sure that you choose the right course?
- A good start would be to look at your CV, after which you can identify key areas that you believe your resumé is lacking, and then researching short courses in those specific areas.
- Another valuable aspect to consider is your personal interests, and the path you want your career to follow. Since your job will take up a large portion of your life, it is important to choose a course that you will enjoy and are passionate about.
- Consider why you want to do a course. Before deciding on a course, you must establish why you want to do it, whether it is you wanting a change of career, or simply wanting to earn a promotion.
- Consider where to study, this choice will be heavily influenced by your financial situation, and what you choose to study.
Tips for success when taking on a short course while working a full-time job
- Pick a suitable course for you – when you make the decision on which short course to pursue, it is of essence to keep your job in mind. You must take in consideration that you will have to study around your job, and that your job should take priority. Ensure that you choose a course that you find interesting and will provide you with sufficient opportunity to obtain new skills and expand your knowledge.
- Prepare a schedule and stick to it – since you will be having to balance your course with your full-time job, it is very important that you prepare a studying schedule and adhere to it rigidly. Another valuable tip is to ensure you leave some time available in your schedule to do things you enjoy, because balancing studying and work can be very stressful.
- Ensure your line manager is aware of your studies – while you are doing your course, you will benefit immensely from letting your employers know as they may be able to help you with your course and will also not pile additional work on your shoulders. This will also allow you to possibly take some time off to work on your course when necessary.
- Remain focused on the task at hand – it is extremely important to give your undivided attention to the task you are performing at any given moment. If you are at work for example, focus on your work solely, and ignore other distractions.
Why you should make IMM your 2022 skills partner
At IMM we pride ourselves in offering some of the best online short courses in South Africa. We provide online learning and online short courses designed by industry experts.
So, why should you make IMM your choice of short course provider?
We understand the value of time and money – online short courses are the way to go. In the midst of our busy daily lives, we need to save time and money. That’s why IMM should be your first choice.
We provide the best online learning content – We offer the latest up-to-date online short courses in business management, marketing, and supply chain management.
Our courses are designed for the current market – they have been developed by industry experts therefore they are practical and relevant.
State-of-the art online support – in contrast to most online short courses in South Africa, we allow students to have direct access to the subject experts for any queries or clarity they require during their online learning process.
How many more reasons do you need to make IMM your skills partner in 2022? Follow the link to view our wide range of online short courses https://shortcourses.imm.ac.za/